BIG MOTHER GIG is back with their new LP, No More Questions. In the midst of opening for Gin Blossoms on the West Coast, BIG MOTHER GIG has successfully revived their powerful, robust music style that reinvigorates the sound of rock ‘n’ roll. No More Questions was made available on digital music platforms everywhere on October 12th. BIG MOTHER GIG has not only kept their 90s rock roots, but expanded their musicianship. They brought in special guests, Dicky Barrett (The Mighty Mighty Bosstones) and Britta Phillips (Luna) to support their new LP. They also had the opportunity to co-write with acclaimed novelist, Rick Moody (The Ice Storm).
Los Angeles-based/Milwaukee-bred power pop rockers BIG MOTHER GIG returned in 2017 after a 20-year hiatus with “Almost Primed”, an EP of 6 hard-hitting songs praised by ALTERNATIVE PRESS, PASTE, NEW NOISE, IMPOSE, ALLTHINGSGO, SUBSTREAM and more. Recorded by Jeff Hamilton (Violent Femmes) and Dan Long (Spiral Stairs), the singles “Alvarado” and “Nametag” were well-received with specialty/college radio airplay and impressive streaming numbers.
In 2018, coming off tour dates opening for Luna and Soccer Mommy (including a sold-out show at LA’s Moroccan Lounge), they released “The Great Heist” which was covered by ALLTHINGSGO, NEW NOISE, PUNKNEWS.ORG. PURE GRAIN AUDIO, NOISE BARRAGE and more. 2nd single, “(Let’s Make) Compelling Content”, debuted on Rodney Bingenheimer’s show on Sirius/XM and received support from 20 radio stations propelling it to the Top 10 on the FMQB Submodern Chart for two weeks. The song was selected as Song Of The Day by NPR/The Current and a remix by PEAKING LIGHTS premiered on UNDER THE RADAR.
The band dropped “Obliterate” in July and NEW NOISE premiered the music video starring Sons Of Anarchy’s Michael Ornstein calling the song “another sure fire hit from a band proven to continue creating without any sign of slowing down.” Around the LP’s release, BROOKLYN VEGAN premiered 2 music videos: “Low Payout (feat Dicky Barrett)” and “Our Cover’s Blown (feat Britta Phillips)”. The band has soared to over 1.1M total streams across all digital platforms. The band also hosts a web-series on NEW NOISE called “Let’s Make Compelling Content”.
BIG MOTHER GIG originally formed in 1992 in Milwaukee and played across the Midwest with The Magnolias, Bender, Alligator Gun, The Hunger, PunchDrunk (who later formed The Hold Steady) and more. At their final show in 1996, a label showcase, Soul Asylum’s Dave Pirner praised the band but they soon broke up when singer Richard Jankovich moved to New York. Throughout the ‘00s, Jankovich achieved success with Burnside Project (who’s “Cue The Pulse To Begin” was the theme to “Queer As Folk” and went Top 30 in Japan) and Pocket (who’s remixes for Radiohead and Beck were praised by Pitchfork, Stereogum, Brooklyn Vegan and others).
Since reforming, BIG MOTHER GIG has played with Gin Blossoms, Luna, Soccer Mommy, Peelander-Z , Alvarez Kings, The Yawpers, The Silver Palms, Gestures & Sounds, In Shades, Old Notes, Snuff Redux, Pet Engine, That’s What You Get and more. New members include Mike Datz (Liz Phair), Albert Kurniawan (Graham Ulicny of The Faint) and Micah Lopez.
RIYL: Hold Steady, Beach Slang, Superchunk, Replacements, Husker Du, Menzingers, Jawbreaker
“LOW PAYOUT FEAT DICKY BARRETT (MIGHTY MIGHTY BOSSTONES)” (10/12/2018)
– RADIO: * Debuted at #20 on FMQB Submodern Chart *
– STREAMS TO DATE (Spotify, Soundcloud, Apple, YouTube, FB/IG): 100,000
– VIDEO PREMIERE: BROOKLYNVEGAN “the kind of melodic punk ripper that’s perfect for Dicky’s trademark rasp.”
– OTHER PRESS: THE BIG TAKEOVER’s TOP 10 SONGS OF DECEMBER / ALLTHINGSGO / SUBSTREAM / NEW NOISE / NEWMUSICWEEKLY / WECHAMELEON / TRUESKATEBOARD / THATBUZZINGSOUND
“(LET’S MAKE) COMPELLING CONTENT” (4/20/2018)
– STREAMS (Spotify, Soundcld, Apple, YouTube, FB/IG): 80,000
– RADIO: * Debuted at #7 on FMQB Submodern Chart *
* 2 Weeks in Top 10 on FMQB Submodern Chart*
* Song Of The Day on 89.3FM The Current/NPR Minneapolis, MN *
* Airplay debut on RODNEY ON THE ROCK / SIRIUS-XM *
– PRESS: NEW NOISE (VIDEO FEATURE) / PUREGRAINAUDIO (SONG OF THE DAY) / UNDER THE RADAR / NO DEPRESSION / SOUNDBLAB / ROCK THE PIGEON / MOB ANGELES / FOR EVERYONE NOW / ROCKY BOY / THE INDIE SOURCE / SKOPE / INDIEBANDGURU / UNTITLED ROCK
– PROMOTION: Airplay in 15K Uber/Lyft rides, 375 multiplexes and 1,500 retail locations.
– MUSIC VIDEO: Features SONS OF ANARCHY’S Michael Ornstein, premiered on NEW NOISE MAGAZINE.
– STREAMS (Spotify, Soundcld, Apple, YouTube, FB/IG): 48,000
– PRESS: NEW NOISE / SPINNING UNREST / THE REVUE / HYPEM / AUDIOFUZZ / THE BUZZING SOUND / WECHAMELEON / VENTS / MELODIC / MIND NOISE NETWORK / THE MUSICAL HYPE / TRUE SKATEBOARD MAG
– PROMOTION: Airplay in 16K Uber/Lyft rides.
“OUR COVER’S BLOWN FEAT BRITTA PHILLIPS” (10/12/2018)
– MUSIC VIDEO: Premiered by BROOKLYN VEGAN who said “Compared to (their) punky sound, the song with Britta is softer in the alt-country realm…a really pretty song…with an abstract-looking video that suits it well.”
– STREAMS TO DATE (Spotify, Soundcloud, Apple, YouTube, FB/IG): 1,200
“Top 10 best songs of December, 2018”
THE BIG TAKEOVER
TOTAL STREAMS ALL PLATFORMS: 1.1 M
SPOTIFY – 970K
YOUTUBE – 77K
SOUNDCLOUD – 38K
APPLE – 7K
PANDORA – 6K
RECENT SHOW HISTORY:
9/17/18 – Troubadour, West Hollywood, CA (supporting GIN BLOSSOMS)
9/11/18 – Discovery Ventura, Ventura, CA (supporting GIN BLOSSOMS)
9/9/18 – The Coach House, San Juan Capistrano, CA (supporting GIN BLOSSOMS)
6/27/18 – Palmers, Minneapolis, MN (w/That’s What You Get, Snuff Redux, Black Satori)
6/6/18 – Silverlake Lounge, Los Angeles, CA (w/In Shades, Old Notes, Bella Porter)
4/16/18 – The Viper Room, Los Angeles, CA (w/PEELANDER-Z)
4/15/18 – The Lost Knight, Los Angeles, CA (w/The Silver Palms, Diana Meyer, VooDoo, Gestures & Sounds)
1/11/18 – The Moroccan Lounge, Los Angeles, CA (w/LUNA)
11/3/17 – Turner Hall, Milwaukee, WI (w/LUNA, Soccer Mommy)
11/2/17 – Park West, Chicago, IL (w/LUNA, Soccer Mommy)
9/13/17 – Resident, Los Angeles, CA (w/The Yawpers)
7/28/17 – Hemlock Tavern, San Francisco, CA (w/ Sleeper Hold, TV Dinner)
7/14/17 – The Hi Hat, Los Angeles, CA (w/ Alvarez Kings, Yacht Punk)
3/18/17 – Turner Hall, Milwaukee, WI – 20-year Reunion (w/ FS Camels, Pet Engine, You’re Pretty, Slurr)